Frequently Asked Questions about Confirmation
- Rehearsal: The more prompt everyone is there and ready to rehearse the sooner we will be done. We will start in the Parish Hall. Sponsors if possible need to attend. A parent may attend in their place.
- Mass? It will not be a full Mass. It will be the liturgy of Confirmation.
- What do I wear for Confirmation? Young Women are to wear dresses that are appropriate for Mass. The length cannot be shorter than 2 inches above the knee. The dress must be modest and have a back and sleeves. (No backless or sleeveless dresses will be permitted.) You are not limited to any color or pattern. Nice skirts with blouses that fit the above description are also permitted. Please wear dress shoes; no sports shoes. Young Men are to wear dress slacks with an appropriate shirt and tie. Please wear dress shoes; no sports shoes. Red Robes sized to the candidate's height will be provided for candidate to wear the night of the Celebration. This is now a Diocesan requirement.
- What if my sponsor cannot come to rehearsal or Confirmation? Any adult may fill in for the sponsor at the rehearsal. A proxy for the Confirmation Mass should meet the same requirements as a sponsor.
- What is the Confirmation Retreat about? The Confirmation Retreat is a day of prayer and activities to prepare candidates spiritually for reception of the Sacrament. Students that have concerns about homework should be aware Fairfax County Public Schools allows for accommodation:
Students should talk to the teachers about the event in correlation with assignments and tests.
We can also provide letters to any other schools that would need verification for need to accommodate
a student's religious freedom.
- May we take pictures in church? NO! Because we do not wish to distract from the solemnity of the conferral of Confirmation, no cameras (still or video) are allowed in church during Mass. You may take pictures after Mass and the bishop will be available for individual pictures with the newly confirmed at the reception in Flaherty Hall following Mass.
- What if my Sponsor or family needs special seating? Please contact us one week ahead via email and we will arrange wheelchair accessible/etc. seating for those in need. This is also important to mention at the Rehearsal, especially regarding a Sponsor.
- How full will the Church be? Plan on arriving well ahead (6:15 PM at the latest) to get a seat, as liturgies in the past with less candidates resulted in people standing.
- Will there be a reception afterward? Cake and lemonade will be served afterward in the Parish Hall. Due to the large turnout there will mostly standing room. The candidates will take a group picture with the Bishop before everyone else is let in the Hall. Candidates can then choose to line up for an individual picture with the Bishop.
- What about Confirmation Certificates? Due to the large numbers at the reception and all that is going on, Certificates will be mailed in a few weeks..
The Bishop and Priests, etc will process in to start the Liturgy.
NO PHOTOS/VIDEO WILL BE ALLOWED during the celebration.
Professional photographers will be present
After the Homily:
The Bishop will lead candidates in renewal of Baptismal Promises:
The candidates will respond “I do”….
The Bishop will then extend his hand to begin the Sacrament and pray.
The Candidates by row will rise (Sponsors row will parallel) and proceed forward
(with their card) to receive Confirmation. Sponsor will proceed forward quickly to meet up with each candidate so that the pair meets in front of the Bishop.
The Bishop will say “__________ Be sealed with the Gift of the Holy Spirit.”
The Candidate will respond “AMEN”
The Bishop places his hand on the shoulder of the Candidate and say: “Peace be with you.” The Candidate responds: “And with your spirit”
The Candidate and sponsor will return to their seat, and then be seated.
The prayers of the faithful will be said.
The rest of the Celebration will take place.
The altar servers will begin to proceed to leave the Church.
As the servers pass the First row of Candidates will follow.
The Candidates will process out of Church immediately into the Hall.
In the Hall the candidates and bishop will arrange and take a group photo.
ONLY CANDIDATES WILL ENTER HALL until group photo is finished.
Everyone will be invited in the Hall for cake and juice, Candidates may take individual photos with the bishop.
Candidates will return their robes to their hangers (when leaving).